Thursday, November 10, 2011

Making Whey

I know, I know, you're thinking "No Way!" And all I can say is "Yes, whey!" (sorry, I couldn't resist, it's been joking around in my head all day with no one to share it with)

I made whey today- totally, completely easy thing to do. I've been meaning to make whey for at least a month now. And seriously been meaning to for a few weeks. Now I have a quart of whey in the fridge just ready for the lacto-fermentation fun to begin!

Lacto-whato? you ask? Well, I'm currently being seduced by Nourishing Traditions and I've been very much won over by the argument to make friends with microogranisms, and even develop a relationship with them, a symbiotic one, of course. Next on the list will be sprouting and pulses, but first we need to get us a nice lacto-fermented beverage going. See, my parents drink copious amounts of pop (that's Idaho for soda). And, even though I don't like it, I find myself really hankering for something besides water. The book argues that we have this ancient experience with beverages and that's why soda is so popular, even as it is destroying the health of so many. I have yet to decide what I will brew first, but Root Beer, Ginger Ale, Apple Cider, and Kvass or Kombucho are all on the list. And then there is the pickling that will be done! I can't wait to use my quart of goodness! And did I mention it's pretty? Such a nice color of yellow, kind of lemonadey.

No comments:

Post a Comment