Tuesday, November 8, 2011

No, this isn't a camping blog

Even my husband raised his eyebrows as I began to describe my newest idea for a blog. Generally, I have lots of ideas about lots of things, including the kinds of blogs I could write. But, "Dwelling in a Tent," what the crap could that mean? Here's a little nugget of a back story to begin to describe what I mean.

I was around fifteenish, sitting at some kind of church sponsored youth conference, or maybe I was already graduated. The speaker was talking about really digging into the scriptures and trying to help us realize we can apply all scripture to our own lives. He asked us to give us some examples, and I guess I took that as a challenge (this makes me think I was 15) and so I read a verse of one line: And Lehi dwelt in a tent.

Now, I wasn't totally being snotty. I had actually pondered that very verse wondering why the crap it was in there. But I was probably trying to draw attention to my own wit by bringing it up. I did get a few laughs when I read it. The teacher, however, didn't back down and asked me how I thought I could apply it to our lives. And here's the cool part, I had an answer. I don't think I totally came up with it, either. It came prettily right out of my mouth and I was actually a little embarrassed of the intellectualness of it (I WAS fifteen, right?)

So that began my thoughts about Tent Dwelling in the scriptural sense. It's been simmering on one of my many back burners for some time now, and today is the day that it becomes a metaphor for the way I'm trying to live my life.

Here are some parting one liners to wet your appetite:
Dwelling in a tent implies a simplicity of things, no more than can be carried and moved frequently.
Tent dwellers are always on the move.
Tent dwellers are more grounded to the earth and the outside world of nature.
Tent dwelling means always on a journey and no nonsense about final destinations.
Tent dwelling is about seasons of life and using what you have now.
Dwelling in a tent is an honor, something the Lord's chosen have done often.

That's enough for now. Tent Dwellers also don't stay up much past sundown, so I best get my hypocritical rear into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment